Tree Agate and Moss Agate belong to the family of Agate stones. Both these are beautiful stones but very different from each other. Tree agate and moss agate are both types of agate that contain tree- or moss-like inclusions. both have green patterns that resemble leaves or branches.
They have a beautiful pattern on their surface which at times creates some confusion between the two stones. Many confuse them as one single stone while they are very different from each other. Hence many questions arise around Tree Agate vs Moss Agate and what are the key differences.
In the below topics, I have covered points on Tree Agate vs Moss Agate differences and how one can clearly distinguish between these two stones without any confusion.
The main difference between tree agate and moss agate is that tree agate has a more defined tree-like pattern, while moss agate is more opaque and has a more undefined moss-like pattern.
The second main difference is the inclusions in these stones. They are also different. Tree agate typically has inclusions of quartz or chalcedony, while moss agate typically has inclusions of Hornblende, chlorite, or other minerals.
By just looking at the stones you can observe the differences in the pattern: tree agate has a more transparent, banded appearance with a tree-like pattern, while moss agate is more opaque with a moss-like or fern-like pattern.
While these are the main differences between tree agate vs moss agate, there are a few more important points to look at. Keep reading further to understand the key difference and learn in detail about tree agate and moss agate, their healing properties, zodiac signs and chakras.
Tree Agate vs Moss Agate – Key differences
- Colour and Opacity
While just holding the two stones in your hands you may not be able to find an immediate stark difference between the two. But for a moment, ignore everything and just look at the base colour of both these crystals. What you will notice is
- Tree Agate has an opaque base which is white in colour.
- Moss Agate has a translucent base which is clear.
Tree agate is typically translucent to semi-opaque stone, while moss agate is typically translucent to opaque stone.
The base colour and opacity of tree agate is white, whereas moss agate is translucent to opaque. Moss agate also has inclusions that resemble plant life, hence its name. The finish of tree agate is usually a high polish, while moss agate is typically left in its natural state.
- Pattern and inclusions of Tree Agate and Moss Agate
Let’s now look closely into the stone and observe the patterns that each one of them has.
Tree agate typically has a botryoidal, or grape-like, formation of inclusions, while moss agate typically has dendritic inclusions that resemble moss or trees.
Tree agate is a type of chalcedony that is characterised by its tree- or fern-like inclusions, while moss agate is a type of chalcedony that is characterised by its moss-like inclusions.
The patterns and inclusions found in tree agate stones are believed to resemble the growth of trees and plants and are thought to represent the interconnectedness of all life. These green branches grow over the surface of the stone which is white and opaque. The green colour all over the stone resembles a forest-like arrangement which is lush green and dense.
The moss agate stone typically contains inclusions that resemble moss or foliage. These inclusions are usually green, but can also be other colours, such as red or white. The patterns created by the inclusions can be very intricate and beautiful. From the outside, they look like dense bushes over the surface of the stone.
What makes moss agate different and unique is the inclusions that appear like moss vegetation, covering almost the entire surface of the stone. In some cases, there are no spaces left and are completely covered with patterns.
- Chakras of Tree Agate and Moss Agate
Tree Agate and Moss Agate, both are associated with the fourth chakra which is the heart chakra. The heart chakra is associated with love, compassion, and healing. Both these stones, Tree Agate and Moss Agate possess the properties of providing love, emotional stability and peace to the wearer.
In terms of chakra, the main difference between these stones is that Tree Agate is connected with an additional chakra which is the root chakra.
Due to Tree Agate’s connection with the root chakra, it has a grounding effect and helps in stabilising emotions and making one feel more secure and calm.
Tree Agate gives the strength and stability to weather the storms of life. One is able to take care of basic needs and feel a sense of belonging in the world.
Healing properties of Tree Agate vs Moss Agate
Both Tree agate and moss agate have many healing properties. Right from emotional, and physical to metaphysical properties, these stones are rich in healing benefits. Both these stones are said to be very helpful in calming and stabilising emotions. They are also known to be helpful in reducing stress and anxiety.
Tree agate is said to be helpful in promoting self-growth and self-love. It is also said to be helpful in improving self-esteem and confidence. Tree agate is also said to be helpful in overcoming fears and phobias.
moss agate is said to be helpful in attracting abundance and prosperity. It is also said to be helpful in improving self-esteem and confidence. moss agate is also said to be helpful in reducing stress and anxiety.
While there are many common properties, both these stones differ in their healing benefits. Read on to know the emotional, physical, spiritual and metaphysical healing benefits.
Emotional healing properties of Tree Agate and Moss Agate
Emotional healing properties of Tree Agate
Many believe that tree agate has emotional healing benefits. It is said to help with stress, anxiety, and depression. Tree agate is also thought to promote feelings of peace, calm, and relaxation.
1. Brings peace and calm – Tree Agate is known to help bring peace and calm to those who wear or carry it. It is especially helpful in times of stress or during periods of transition.
2. Helps with decision making – Tree Agate is said to be helpful in making decisions, both big and small. It can help to clear the mind and see all the options available.
3. Enhances creativity – Tree Agate is known to enhance creativity and is often used by artists and writers to help with the creative process.
4. Promotes growth and abundance – Tree Agate is known as a stone of growth and abundance. It is said to help with manifesting one’s desires and bringing abundance into one’s life.
Emotional healing properties of Moss Agate
Many say that moss agate helps to ease anxiety and stress, and can be helpful in promoting emotional healing. It is also said to bring peace and calmness to those who wear it.
1. Enhances spirituality: Moss agate helps with the spiritual aspects of oneself. It enhances psychic abilities, meditation, and intuition.
2. Connects with nature: Moss agate helps one feel more connected with nature. It can be used to help with gardening and plant growth.
3. Balances emotions: Moss agate helps to balance the emotions. It is especially helpful during times of stress or anxiety.
4. Promoting self-confidence and self-esteem: Moss agate can help promote self-confidence and self-esteem. It can be used to help with decision-making and goal setting.
5. Calming and Centering: Moss agate can be used to calm and center oneself. It is helpful in times of emotional upheaval or during times of transition.
Physical healing properties of Tree Agate and Moss Agate
Both Tree Agate and Moss Agate have many physical healing properties. While they have few in common, there are many that differentiate them.
Tree Agate physical healing properties
Tree Agate is a stone that has many physical healing properties. It is known to help with issues such as skin problems, wounds, and infections. It is also said to be helpful in detoxifying the body and purifying the blood. Additionally, Tree Agate is said to be beneficial for the immune system, digestive system, and respiratory system.
- Reduces blood pressure: Tree Agate helps to reduce both high and low blood pressure.
- Stimulates the immune system: Tree Agate helps to stimulate the activity of the immune system, making it more efficient in fighting infection.
- Aids in detoxification: Tree Agate helps the body to release toxins and impurities.
- Reduces inflammation: Tree Agate helps to reduce inflammation throughout the body.
- Aids in digestion: Tree Agate helps to improve digestion and eliminates toxins from the digestive system.
- Relieves pain: Tree Agate helps to relieve pain, both physical and emotional.
Moss Agate physical healing properties
Moss agate is a very powerful stone that can help to heal many different physical ailments. It is known to be especially effective in treating problems with the liver, kidney, and spleen. It can also help to improve circulation and reduce inflammation. Moss agate is also said to be helpful in treating colds, flu, and other respiratory infections.
- Helps with digestive problems: Moss Agate helps with digestive problems by improving the function of the digestive system.
- Relieves stress and anxiety: Moss Agate is a very calming and soothing stone that can help to relieve stress and anxiety.
- Reduces inflammation: Moss Agate can help to reduce inflammation in the body.
- Aids in detoxification: Moss Agate can help the body to detoxify and cleanse itself.
- Improves circulation: Moss Agate can help to improve circulation by stimulating the circulatory system.
- Boosts the immune system: Moss Agate can help to boost the immune system by increasing the production of white blood cells.
Metaphysical properties of Tree Agate and Moss Agate
Tree Agate Metaphysical properties
- Finding Peace: Tree Agate is a stone that provides a deep sense of inner peace. It calms and quiets the mind, bringing a sense of tranquillity and serenity.
- Balance: Tree Agate helps to bring about balance in one’s life. It can help to calm and stabilise emotions and to bring about a sense of harmony and equilibrium.
- Grounding: Tree Agate is a very grounding stone. It can help to center and ground one’s energy and to bring about a sense of stability and security.
- Protection: Tree Agate is a protective stone. It can help to shield one from negative energy and to promote a sense of safety and security.
- Healing: Tree Agate is a healing stone. It can help to heal emotional wounds and to promote physical healing.
Moss Agate metaphysical healing properties
- Emotional Balance: Moss Agate is a stone of emotional balance and courage. It helps to strengthen personal and business relationships as well as dissolve anger and resentment. It also helps overcome fears, phobias and guilt.
- Mental Clarity: Moss Agate helps clear your mind and release negative thought patterns. It also helps to increase your concentration and analytical abilities.
- New Experiments: Moss Agate is an excellent stone for new beginnings. It helps to release old patterns and habits so that you can embrace new experiences.
- Heart chakra connection: Moss Agate is a heart chakra stone. It helps to balance your emotions and open up to love and compassion. It also helps to heal emotional trauma and wounds. The green colour of the stone is also connected with the heart chakra and resembles the colour of nature, harmony and balance.
- Relationships: Moss Agate helps with communication and understanding in relationships. It also helps to attract new friends and business partners.
- Prosperity: Moss Agate is a stone of prosperity and abundance. It helps to attract new opportunities and abundance into your life.
Zodiac Signs of Tree Agate vs Moss Agate
Zodiac Sign of Tree Agate – Tree agate is associated with the zodiac sign of Gemini.
Zodiac Sign of Moss Agate – The zodiac sign of moss agate is Scorpio.
Other frequently asked questions:
What is the difference between Agate and Moss Agate
The main difference between agate and moss agate is that agate is a semiprecious stone made from chalcedony, while moss agate is a semiprecious stone made from chalcedony with inclusions of minerals that give it a mossy appearance. Agate stones have the same colour throughout with different shades and bands and the exterior is usually dull.
Moss Agate on the other hand has a green moss-like appearance with shades of white, brown, and black. The mossy appearance is created by inclusions of minerals such as chlorite, manganese, and iron oxide. It has green vegetation patterns translucent to the opaque background.
Is Green Agate same as Moss Agate
While both green agate and moss agate look similar visually they are not the same. Green Agate has a translucent quality to it and displays small inclusions that resemble moss or plant life. the green colour is spread evenly throughout the stone. Moss agate on the other hand is not translucent. It is opaque and has dark green inclusions that look like moss or plant life. The green colour is not evenly spread and is usually found in banded layers.
Dendritic Agate vs Moss Agate
The key difference between dendritic agate and moss agate is that dendritic agate is a type of agate characterised by the presence of dendritic inclusions whereas moss agate is a type of agate characterised by the presence of moss-like inclusions.
Dendritic agate is a type of agate characterised by the presence of dendritic inclusions. Dendrites are fern-like inclusions that can be found in a wide range of colours, including black, white, and shades of brown.
Moss agate is a type of agate characterised by the presence of moss-like inclusions. Moss agate can be found in a wide range of colours, including shades of green, brown, and white.
Is tree agate an agate?
Yes, Tree agate belongs to the agate family. The reason why many would assume tree agate to not be a part of the agate family would be due to its appearance. As tree agate does have the typical banding of agates, it is often mistaken for being something else. Tree Agates have the same physical properties as composition, hardness, and density. Tree Agate has the same composition as all agates, being made up of silicon dioxide.
The only difference is that tree agate has inclusions of trees or ferns and has a base colour of white, milky white, or very light grey. Also, tree japer is another name attributed to this gemstone.
Dendritic Agate vs moss agate
The key difference between dendritic agate and moss agate is the visual difference. The visual difference between dendritic agate and moss agate is the form of the inclusions. Dendritic agate has dendritic inclusions while moss agate has inclusions that form moss-like or fern-like patterns.
Also, dendritic agate is silica-rich, microcrystalline quartz with inclusions of manganese, iron, or other minerals that form dendrites, while moss agate is a translucent to semitransparent chalcedony with inclusions of hornblende, chlorite, or other minerals that form moss-like or fern-like patterns.
Garden Agate vs Moss Agate
The difference between garden agate and moss agate is that garden agate is a type of agate that is found near hot springs and often has inclusions that resemble leaves or flowers, while moss agate is a type of agate that is found near mossy areas and often has inclusions that resemble moss. The visual difference between the two agates is that garden agates are usually red, yellow, or orange, while moss agates are usually green.
Tree jasper vs Moss agate
The key difference between jasper and moss agate is that jasper is a fine-grained or microcrystalline variety of quartz while moss agate is a semi-precious gemstone that is a variety of chalcedony.
Jasper is a variety of quartz that is characterised by its homogeneous microcrystalline structure. It has a strong, durable, and opaque texture with a variety of colours. On the other hand, moss agate is a variety of chalcedony that is characterised by its dendritic or fibrous inclusions of manganese and iron oxides. It has a translucent texture with a green to white colour. Moreover, jasper has a Mohs hardness of 6.5–7 while moss agate has a hardness of 7.
Furthermore, jasper is used in making jewellery, ornaments, vases, bowls, and other decorative items while moss agate is used in making amulets, talismans, and other objects of power. Moreover, jasper is an opaque gemstone while moss agate is a translucent gemstone. visually the difference between the two is that moss agate has a greenish-white colour while jasper has a deep red, dark green, or brown colour.
Tree Jasper vs Tree agate
Tree jasper and tree agate have one thing in common, and that is that they are both stones that have the appearance of trees. However, that is where the similarity ends. Tree jasper is a type of jasper that is found in a variety of colours, including red, green, blue, and purple. Tree agate, on the other hand, is a type of agate that is found in only one colour, which is green.
What are the benefits of Tree Agate
Some benefits of tree agate include its ability to promote physical and emotional healing, as well as its ability to provide support and stability during difficult times. Tree agate can also help to balance the energies of the body, mind, and spirit. Additionally, tree agate is said to be helpful in attracting abundance and prosperity.